UUJ FC 0-2 Dunmurry Rec

Steel & Sons Cup Round 3 Saturday 10th September 2011

UUJ Line Up 

1. Eamonn Browne
2. Brendy Mooney
3. Kurtis Irwin
4. Paul Esler
5. Colm Maxwell
6. Kevin O'Neill
7. Dominic Friel
8. Laurence Lyons
9. Sean Walsh
10. Anto Stuart
11. Michael Brannigan
12. Michael McCluskey
14. Johnny Magennis Sub On
15. Dan McAlea Sub On
16. Michael McBriarty Sub On

UUJ were knocked out of the Steel & Sons Cup to a well organised Dunmurry Rec side, who they again face next weekend.

In the first minute, Dunmurry took the lead when a free kick on the half way line was sent in to the UUJ box. Browne left his line to collect the ball, only to slip as the ball bounced over him towards the empty net.

UUJ had the chance to draw level when Anto Stuart raced onto a ball played over the top. With the keeper off his line, Stuart sent a lobbed shot narrowly over the crossbar.

Another goal keeping error almost allowed Stuart to equal the scoring. From a Brannigan cross out left, the keeper came out to collect the ball only for it to slip out of his hands and head towards goal. Stuart raced in to capitalise on the error, but the keeper recovered well stopping the ball on the line.

Laurence Lyons then sent a left foot shot over the bar from range as UUJ looked to get back into the game, while at the other end, the Dunmurry number 10 was causing the UUJ defence all sorts of problems.

HT 0-1

UUJ had the first chance in the second half. Brannigan's corner was met at the back post by Maxwell, whose header somehow managed to stay out and the Dunmurry defence scrambled the ball out of danger.

Again it was the big number 10 causing the problems and he had a chance to double the lead only for a great save from Browne.

With the game beginning to get scrappy, Dunmurry added to their earlier goal. The referee decided that the wide midfielder was onside as he picked the ball up on the right, before squaring it to his team mate to role the ball into the net.

A change in formation and a triple substitution was made as UUJ looked to spark some life into their performance, O'Neill, Friel and Mooney were replaced by Magennis, McAlea and McBriarty. There was almost an immediate impact after the three linked up well in midfield before McAlea unleashed a shot at goal, the keeper making a great save before the ball fell to Lyons who shot over.

Magennis then won a free kick on the edge of the area after some neat play between him and Brannigan. His free kick, however, sailed harmlessly over. Moments later another free kick, this time by McAlea, was drilled narrowly wide.

UUJ were then reduced to ten men when Magennis was harshly dismissed, picking up two yellow cards in a matter of seconds after a confrontation with the referee.

From then on in it was always going to be an upward struggle and Dunmurry seen the game out comfortably. UUJ will need to pick themselves up for next week's tie in the Irish Cup and will be hoping for a much better performance.

FT 0-2