Derriaghy CC 3-0 UUJ FC

NAFL 1A Saturday 1st October 2011

UUJ Line Up 

1. Eamonn Browne
2. Ryan Rossborough
3. Paul Darby
4. Paul Esler
5. Colin O'Neill
6. Johnny Magennis
7. Dan McAlea
8. Laurence Lyons Sub Off
9. Sean Walsh
10. Anto Stuart
11. Michael Brannigan
14. Michael McBriarty Sub On
15. Brendy Mooney
16. Kurtis Irwin

It was a miserable day for UUJ at a rain soaked Seycon Park as they slipped to a fifth consecutive defeat to early pace setters Derriaghy CC.

Derriaghy took an early lead after good build up play on the left of midfield. The ball was eventually played into the hole behind the defence and the shot from out wide slipped under Browne's grasp and spun up into the top corner of the net.

UUJ's first opportunity fell to Magennis who dragged a long range shot wide after picking the ball up from a Darby throw in on the left. Shortly after Laurence Lyons pulled up with what looked like a groin injury and had to be replaced by Michael McBriarty.

UUJ came close to equalising on the 20 minute mark after some excellent play by Walsh up front. He beat 3 men with ease before passing to Magennis who switched the play to Dan McAlea on the right of midfield. McAlea whipped in a back post cross to Magennis, who had continued his run, only for it to fall on his weaker left foot and he shot over and wide from inside the area.

A foul on Stuart upfront allowed for Darby to test the keeper with one of his trade mark left foot drives from the resulting free kick, only for the keeper to easily gather the shot and held onto the ball comfortably.

A bad pass across the backline of Derriaghy allowed Walsh to create a chance for himself out of nothing. He drove past former Northern Ireland international Kennedy at Left Back and got his shot off just as the keeper came sliding out to make the save.

Browne was called upon again to make a great save after the ball broke in the box from a cross out right. However, he was left with no chance as Derriaghy doubled their lead from the resulting corner which was taken short and a long range drive from the Derriaghy midfielder flew into the top corner.

HT 2-0

The second half started as the first half ended with Derriaghy putting the UUJ defence under pressure. Captain Esler was in the right position to clear off the line to set up a counter attack following a free kick out left. The clearance was picked up by McBriarty who played the ball forward. Michael Brannigan won the header and flicked the ball on to Stuart, who raced away from his marker and as he was getting pulled back by the defender, played in Walsh who shot over from the edge of the area.

Derriaghy scored their third goal of the game after the unmarked striker had too much time to pick his spot from a near post corner.

Anto Stuart had great chance to get his name on the score sheet late in the game after another teasing McAlea cross. Walsh and McAlea had switched positions and it was those two who linked up before the delivery to the back post, with Stuart heading over from close range.

The final opportunity of the game fell to Stuart who had a shot saved by the keeper after some clever play to make a yard for himself.

Next week, UUJ will be hoping to get their season back on track when they face Abbey Villa who currently occupy the bottom spot in what will prove to be a very important game.

FT 3-0